2022 Honor Awards
Expand conversations into action and design.
LIVE EVENT ON NOVEMBER 7 AT TOWN HALL SEATTLE
The Honor Awards for Washington Architecture is AIA Seattle’s annual marquee program, drawing hundreds of attendees to a lecture-style event of unique rigor and breadth. This nationally-recognized program provides an important opportunity for the design community to share and celebrate its achievements, both among practitioners and with the community at-large.
THE JURY PROCESS
Every year, jurors praise submissions that reveal the story behind the marketing images. What concepts and considerations drove the design? How did the design team creatively address the project parameters? Did the true design intent materialize in the project? What is the project’s benefit or impact? Ultimately, what makes this an award winning project? Submitters were encouraged to use the project narrative, captions, and inclusion of process work as opportunities to tell a design story.
In addition to the jury’s own criteria, the AIA Seattle community has identified four considerations for the submission review process: Inspiration, Problem-Solving, Environmental Sensitivity, Social Impact. The integration of the Common App into the submission process also raises awareness of the Framework for Design Excellence.
Initial Jury Deliberations will take place virtually this year before the jury joins us in Seattle November 5-7.
- Starting October 6, each juror individually receives and reviews all projects submitted before group deliberations.
- On Friday, October 14, the jury will meet online, agree on criteria, and together determine a shortlist of projects in consideration for award. From this shortlist, the jury will determine which BUILT projects they would like to visit in Seattle.
- An Honor Awards Committee member will coordinate site visits leading up to jury arrival. Site Visit Contacts must be authorized to organize a hosted site visit on Sunday, November 6. SITE VISITS ARE ANONYMOUS. The project design team shall not be present.
- On Sunday, November 6, following site visits, the jury will participate in final deliberations and select this year’s award recipients for all categories.
- On Monday, November 7, the jury will discuss and present their official award selections on-stage at the Live Event at Town Hall Seattle.
Awards are the final determination of the jury.
MEET THE JURY
YOUNG VOICES SELECTION
Initiated in 2018, the Young Voices Selection (YVS) program aims to elevate and engage the voices of young designers through direct participation and representation in AIA Seattle’s Honor Awards for Washington Architecture. Three young designers, nominated by firm leaders and selected by the Honor Awards Committee, will be given the opportunity to review, deliberate, and select ONE Built project submission. This chosen project, the “Young Voices Selection,” will be recognized at the live event in November and selected by this year’s Young Voices…
- Alyssa Mitchell Assoc. AIA, NOMA | Weber Thompson
- Mariel Dougoud | Perkins&Will
- Nikki Sugihara Assoc. AIA | Wittman Estes
Questions about Submitting? Contact AIA Seattle Programs Manger, Zoe Guckenheimer.
Questions about attending the Live Event? Contact AIA Seattle Programs Coordinator, Andrea Aguilera.
Sponsorship Questions? Contact AIA Seattle Executive Director, Melissa K. Neher.
THANK YOU TO OUR 2022 HONOR AWARDS SPONSORS
BetterBricks | Dovetail | Arup | Berger Partnership | Coughlin Porter Lundeen | Fremont Brewing
FSi Engineers | Holmes Structures | Inform Interiors | Kolbe Gallery Seattle | KPFF Consulting Engineers
Lane Powell | Magnusson Klemencic Associates | Malsam Tsang Structural Engineering
PCS Structural Solutions | Quantum Consulting Engineers | Säzän Group | Schuchart | Schultz Miller
Swenson Say Fagét | GRAY