AIA Seattle offers over 50 continuing education opportunities annually.
Learn more about Continuing Education requirements for licensed architects, as well as maintaining your transcript, and online education options.
This page details AIA Seattle’s major half-day, full-day, and series continuing education programs. Additionally, AIA Seattle offers on-demand education programs and member committees present programs and host events on a variety of topics throughout the year. Explore additional learning opportunities on our calendar.
2023 MAJOR EDUCATION PROGRAMS
Safety Assessment Program (SAP) | February 14 &15
Post-Disaster Safety Assessment Training Program (SAP) Training provides architects, engineers, building officials, and inspectors with the knowledge to provide evaluation of buildings and larger infrastructure in the aftermath of a disastrous event. This all-hazards training course will train architects to be first-responders to help folks transition to safely reoccupying, clearing, or demolishing buildings after a major event.
Code Series | March 22-23, May 17, September 19-20, November 13
Join us for Code Reload in 2023, a series consisting of four unique sessions presented by AIA Seattle’s Code Committee and experts (representing the public and private sector) as they cover the most relevant topics, including recent local code updates, existing building requirements, accessibility, and compliance issues and implications.
Climate Summit | May 8-9
Join us online, May 8-9, 2023, 9am-2pm both days, for Decarbonization for Health Equity & Community Resilience. Our annual Climate Summit advances research and knowledge, bringing together interdisciplinary leaders and design professionals to amplify the role of the profession in climate and sustainability at varying scales. Through examining 1) indoor air quality and the right to positive health outcomes; 2) adaptive reuse strategies, the circular economy, and electrification; and 3) case studies demonstrating what “good” looks like through responsible building in projects and practice, this year’s thought leadership summit will take a systems-approach to explore high-impact decarbonization strategies that nurture our communities and ecosystems.
AHC Spring/Fall Conferences | April 7 & October 20
For over 30 years, the Architecture for Health Committee (AHC) has provided vital networking and education programming for a regional audience spanning Washington and Oregon, dedicated to healthcare design, systems, and strategies. These programs are shaped by a team jointly based in Portland and Seattle, drawing a dedicated, congenial audience of highly engaged professionals. Each program features a keynote speaker, project tour, and an array of panel discussions and lightning talks focused on drawing emerging professionals. The sessions represent a comprehensive look at the innovations, codes, and adaptations of the region’s healthcare systems, and their interactions with our broader built environment. The Spring Conference was April 7, 2023 at the Silver Reef Casino Resort: The Native American Voice in Healthcare. And the Fall Conference was October 20 at Porter in Portland: Designing for All: Accessibility in Health and Wellness.
Housing Design Forum | June 15
We came together Thursday, June 15, 2023 at 415 Westlake for Housing Now! Design / Access / Delivery. The annual Housing Design Forum explores design trends, regulations, practice innovations, and demographic changes that impact professionals designing homes in the Pacific Northwest. This full-day forum highlighted practical solutions, innovative models, and inspiring case studies, as we addressed the pressing need for housing at all levels and explore the work being done at this very moment to get there.
Justice & Equity Series | September – November
This multi-session professional development series is the continuation of our Culture Change in Practice cohort program and informed by the work of our Racial Justice Working Group and AIA Seattle’s Justice and Equity for Diversity and Inclusion (JE:DI) Council. With the goal of building a more equitable profession and built environment, this series offered firm leaders a framework for critical dialogue, self-assessment, deep engagement, and ongoing action and accountability in facilitating broader impact within their firms and industry.
Our major continuing education programs in 2022 included:
- 2022 Climate Summit: Practicing Equity and Advocacy in Rapid Decarbonization
- Adapted sessions are now available on-demand through aecKnowledge (for up to 7.5 LU HSW)!
- 2022 Housing Design Forum: Precedents & Possibilities Transforming Residential Practice
- Adapted sessions are now available on-demand through aecKnowledge (for up to 7.25 LU HSW)!
- 2022 EDI Series: Culture Change in Practice: A Leadership Cohort
- 2022 Small Firm Series
- 2022 Code Series: Road to Code
- 2022 AHC Spring Conference & AHC Fall Conference
- 2022 Post-Disaster Safety Assessment Training Program
Our major continuing education programs in 2021 included:
- 2021 Climate Summit: Just Transition: Upstream and Downstream Impacts of Decarbonization
- Adapted sessions are now available on-demand through aecKnowledge (for up to 7 LU HSW):
- 2021 Housing Innovation in the 15-Minute City
- 2021 Code Series: Decoded
Our major continuing education programs in 2020 included:
- 2020 Medical Design Forum: Caring for People Caring for the Planet
- 2020 Project Management Series: Getting It Done: The Art of Project Management
- 2020 Climate Summit: Action Now: Accelerating Pathways to Decarbonization
- You can view and share all the recorded webinars below:
- 2020 Housing Design Week: Finding Balance Across the Spectrum of Residential Design
- 2020 Code Series: Cracking Code
- 2020 Community Engagement Forum: Establishing Meaningful Relationships with Communities You Serve
Program questions? Contact Zoë Guckenheimer, Programs Manager
Sponsorship questions? Contact Melissa K. Neher, Executive Director