Company Website SHKS Architects
SHKS Architects fosters a culture of conviviality within the practice and with our client, consultant, and community collaborators. Our best work comes from a shared vision of architecture’s potential to improve our social, environmental, and cultural lives.
Leadership at SHKS is dispersed among a group of principals and associates with a commitment to making places better and a deep appreciation for differences among the leadership group. Respect, empathy, warmth, and humor are fundamental to productive dissonance.
SHKS treasures its studio atmosphere. Lunch has always been important and we’ve kept a lunch table in the center of our work space. We often take a lunch walk to the Center of the Universe. Our space reflects a casual and slightly messy, “come as you are” culture.
Our practice has been shaped to be much like the buildings we design: adaptable, resilient, and comfortable. The studio atmosphere includes a balance of work and life and the flexibility to work from home sometimes, to enjoy other dimensions of life while still making excellent architecture.
SHKS was formed on the basis of friendship among its founders and friendship still pervades the practice. As a mid-sized practice, everyone knows everyone else in both professional and social ways. Together, we’ll be cleaning up the garden outside; weather provided, we’ll be returning to the volleyball court. In recent years, we’ve helped out Sawhorse Revolution and the Block Project.
We’re looking for people to join the fray; professionals deeply committed to making our client’s places and our own workplace more diverse, more comfortable, and more fun. Our practice cultivates growth at all levels. We support continuing education in architecture and all kinds of related action.
We make places to accommodate and enrich people’s lives. That’s how we think about the practice, too. We encourage social, environmental, and professional responsibility and participation: SHKS is a place to grow.
Compensation and Benefits
SHKS offers compensation comparable to our peer architecture firms and recently received JUST Label 2.0 certification from the International Living Future Institute. We are looking to fill positions ranging between the Architectural Staff I level (unlicensed with 3 or more years of experience) up to Architect I level (licensed with over 3 years of experience) in our Seattle office.
- Pay range starting of $31.50 – $35.50 per hour depending on experience. Time and a half over 40 hours per week.
- 100% employer paid health insurance (medical, vision, and dental), disability insurance, and life insurance with no waiting period.
- Simple IRA retirement plan. Employer matching 3% after the first 90 days, fully vested immediately
- PTO: 3 weeks per year. Our paid time off benefit is lumped into a single accrual (including sick and vacation) which can be used at the employee’s discretion.
- 8 paid holidays
- 16 community service hours per year
- Professional development tuition budget of $500 per year and 8 hours per year
- Professional memberships fully paid, including reimbursement for completing ARE tests at SHKS upon licensure
- Flexible work hours, 50% in-office remote work policy
- Summer hours, office closed by noon on Friday between Memorial Day and Labor Day
SHKS Architects provides a supportive and creative work environment. We welcome applicants of any sex, race, color, religion, gender identity, physical ability, sexual orientation, age, and other classes protected by law.
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com. 4mb maximum file size. In-person interviews will be conducted following review of resume and/or subsequent information. You can visit our website at www.shksarchitects.com