2023 Honor Awards
Redefine design to be inclusive, contextual, and impactful.
LIVE EVENT ON NOVEMBER 6 AT TOWN HALL SEATTLE
The Honor Awards for Washington Architecture is AIA Seattle’s annual marquee program, drawing hundreds of attendees to a lecture-style event of unique rigor and breadth. This nationally-recognized program provides an important opportunity for the design community to share and celebrate its achievements, both among practitioners and with the community at-large.
THE JURY PROCESS
Every year, jurors praise submissions that reveal the story behind the marketing images. What concepts and considerations drove the design? How did the design team creatively address the project parameters and client goals? Did the true design intent materialize in the project? What is the project’s benefit or impact? Ultimately, what makes this an award winning project? Submitters were encouraged to use the project narrative, captions, and inclusion of process work as opportunities to tell a design story.
In addition to the jury’s own criteria, the AIA Seattle community has identified four considerations for the submission review process: Inspiration, Problem-Solving, Environmental Sensitivity, Social Impact. The integration of the Common App into the submission process also raises awareness of the Framework for Design Excellence.
Jury Deliberations will occur during Jury Weekend in Seattle, November 3-6, 2023:
- Friday, November 3 | The jury arrives, having reviewed all submitted projects ahead of time.
- Saturday, November 4 | The jury deliberates and determines a shortlist of projects. From this shortlist, they will determine which eligible BUILT projects they would like to visit.
- The Honor Awards Committee will contact Site Visit Contacts on Saturday to coordinate Sunday visits. Site Visit Contacts must be authorized to organize a hosted site visit on Sunday, November 5.
- SITE VISITS ARE ANONYMOUS. The project design team shall not be present.
- Sunday, November 5 | Site visits occur, followed by the jury finalizing their selection of this year’s award recipients for all award categories.
- Monday, November 6 | The jury will discuss and present their official award selections for the first time on-stage at the Live Event at Town Hall Seattle.
Awards are the final determination of the jury.
MEET THE JURY
YOUNG VOICES SELECTION
Initiated in 2018, the Young Voices Selection (YVS) program aims to elevate and engage the voices of young designers through direct participation and representation in AIA Seattle’s Honor Awards for Washington Architecture. Three young designers, nominated by firm leaders and selected by the Honor Awards Committee, will be given the opportunity to review, deliberate, and select ONE Built project submission. This chosen project, the “Young Voices Selection,” will be recognized at the live event in November and selected by this year’s Young Voices…
- Max Hunold | GO’C
- Shoshanna Sidell | SkB Architects
- Stacy (Yubei) Song | NBBJ
Questions about the Honor Awards? Contact Programs Manager, Zoe Guckenheimer
Questions about attending the Live Event? Contact Senior Programs Coordinator, Andrea Aguilera
Sponsorship Questions? Contact Executive Director, Melissa K. Neher
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE HONOR AWARDS COMMITTEE
Special thanks to the Honor Awards Committee who plans and executes AIA Seattle’s Honor Awards for Washington Architecture!
THANK YOU TO OUR 2023 HONOR AWARDS SPONSORS
Interior Tech | BetterBricks | Hoffman Construction Company | Arup | CBIZ Berntson Porter | Cairncross & Hempelmann | Coughlin Porter Lundeen | Fsi Engineers | GLY | Hargis Engineers, Inc. | Inform Interiors | KPFF Consulting Engineers | Lane Powell | Magnusson Klemencic Associates | Malsam Tsang Structural Engineering | Pella Windows & Doors of Western Washington | Precision Property Measurements | Quantum Consulting Engineers | Sazan | Schultz Miller | Swenson Say Fagét | Gray | citizenM Pioneer Square | Fremont Brewing