2019 Honor Awards
Start a dialogue about design.
The evolution of the architecture industry is more dynamic and exciting than ever. We continue to deepen our understanding of the power of design applied to health, equity, sustainability, and of course to the creation of beauty in our built environment. Your voice is essential to exhibiting the design leadership in our region, and we encourage you to share your work by submitting to AIA Seattle’s Honor Awards for Washington Architecture.
It’s a new year with a new jury! If you have never submitted before or have not yet been recognized, this is your moment to start a new dialogue about design.
– Susan McNabb, AIA & Kevin Snook, AIA | Co-chairs, Honor Awards Committee
HOW TO SUBMIT
After logging into your existing Submittable account or creating a new one, you can start, save, and return to draft submissions at any point until the deadline (5:00pm September 30).
Submit to one of three categories: BUILT, CONCEPTUAL, or RESEARCH & INNOVATION. For more details about the submission categories and submitter eligibility, see pg. 3-4 of the Submittal Brief.
WHAT TO SUBMIT (THE OVERVIEW)
Before you prepare your submission(s), be sure to download and review the Submittal Brief for guidance on file formatting requirements.
BUILT submissions only: Download and complete the 2019 Energy Calculator.
ENERGY IN DESIGN CALCULATOR QUESTIONS?
- Attend an informational session + calculator tutorial on September 10, 12:00-1:00pm at the Center for Architecture & Design
- Download and review the Energy in Design Calculator Instructions
- Get technical assistance from the Integrated Design Lab during “Office Hours” – 8:00am, September 23 – 5:00pm September 27, only
START A DIALOGUE WITH THE JURY
Every year, jurors praise submissions that reveal the story behind the marketing images. What concepts and considerations drove the design? What were the challenges and opportunities along the way? How did the design team arrive at the solution? We encourage submitters to use the project narrative, captions, and inclusion of process work as opportunities to tell a design story.
In addition to the jury’s own criteria, the AIA Seattle community has identified four considerations for the submission review process. As you prepare your submission, consider addressing the theme or themes that help tell your design’s story:
- Inspiration | How does the project manifest its stated intent–in form and function–revealing innovation in both thought and practice?
- Problem-solving | How does the project creatively address challenges inherent in its site, budget, program, materials, collaboration, and context? What are the organizing principles informing design?
- Environmental Sensitivity | How does the project exhibit serious intent to minimize negative environmental impact and enhance its relationship to the environment?
- Social Impact | How does the project enhance the community in which it is situated? How does it help promote a vibrant and equitable community?
Get inspired by past winners here. Awards are the final determination of the jury.
LIVE EVENT ON NOVEMBER 4
The Honor Awards for Washington Architecture is AIA Seattle’s annual marquee program, drawing hundreds of attendees to a lecture-style event of unique rigor and breadth. This nationally-recognized program provides an important opportunity for the design community to share and celebrate its achievements, both among practitioners and with the community at-large.
Tickets go on sale after September 19. Stay tuned for more information about the venue and live event!
Questions about Submitting or attending the Live Event? Contact AIA Seattle Professional Programs Manager, Cassie Blair.
Sponsorship Questions? Contact AIA Seattle Managing Director, Kimber Lebliq.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR 2019 HONOR AWARDS SPONSORS