Career in Architecture
Careers in architecture are as varied and interesting as the people who hold them.
BEGIN YOUR CAREER EXPLORATION:
- Discover architecture. It is diverse and multifaceted, and has many opportunities for specialization—become familiar with the options.
- Be interested in the design of the built environment, including public space, and how people use it.
- Ask questions. Contact the AIA Seattle office; talk with architects; observe buildings and construction sites; visit schools and speak with architecture students.
- Prepare for professional education. Develop a broad interest in the arts and humanities and a solid background in the physical sciences, and math. Consider taking Advanced Placement courses while in high school.
- Learn communication skills. Writing effectively, speaking clearly, and developing freehand drawing skills are essential to pursuing a career in architecture.
- Read books and magazines on architecture and design, and browse the web for architecture design websites and blogs.