2015 Honor Awards
The 2015 Honor Awards for Washington Architecture recognizes the diverse perspectives, scales and typologies that encompass architecture in Washington state. The body of work that this region contributes to a thriving local design dialogue has a far-reaching impact on the national and international level. Our community has a well-established legacy of integrated and impactful design, environmental stewardship, and a deep commitment to making design matter. AIA Seattle’s annual Honor Awards program celebrates all who contribute to the evolution of practice, whether through the creation of buildings, installations, or concepts.
2015 Online Gallery of Projects
You can view images and descriptions of this year’s submissions in our online gallery.
Live Event on November 16
Please join us for the 2015 Honor Awards Live Event with our distinguished jury on Monday, November 16!
- Lobby bars open at 5:30 p.m. in the Grand Lobby, bring your smile – there will be a photobooth!
- Program begins at 7:00 p.m. in the Taper Auditorium
- Champagne Toast immediately following the Program, hosted by Schuchart and Schuchart/Dow to honor great design, in the Grand Lobby
Tickets Pricing & Info
- Tickets available online & at the Benaroya Hall box office:
Pre-sale* $30, $16 for Students with valid student ID
Day-of* $36, $16 for Students with valid student ID
- Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more by calling the Group Sales department directly at 206.215.4818 or 206.215.4784.
- 2015 submitters receive one free ticket per entry and will be available the day-of the event at Benaroya Hall’s Box Office (Will Call) under your name. Tickets provided to 2015 Honor Awards sponsors also will be available at Will Call. (The quantity of tickets provided to each sponsor is relative to their Honor Awards sponsorship level. If you have questions on this, please contact Kimber LeBlicq.)
* There is an $8 fee for each online and phone transaction. (If you are buying multiple tickets, pool your purchases into one transaction to only be assessed this fee once. This transaction fee can be avoided by purchasing tickets in person from the Benaroya Hall box office.)
Toni Casamor is a designer with over 20 years of professional experience based in Barcelona. At his atelier BCQ arquitectura barcelona, Casamor, along with co-founder David Baena, has produced work in the fields of architecture, landscape architecture and urban design with a focus on environmental sustainability. Casamor has taught at major universities in Catalonia, as well as at the School of Architecture in Zurich and the Faculty of Architecture in Alghero, Sardinia. The projects of BCQ arquitectura barcelona have been presented at international conferences and published in both the 2008 monograph Reflejos | Reflections and a special 2012 issue of TC Cuadernos.
Astrid Lipka, AIA, LEED AP is a principal of Rice+Lipka Architects based in New York City. Lipka holds a Masters Degree in Advanced Architectural Design from Columbia University and is a part-time Assistant Professor at Parsons the New School for Design, where she is currently the Coordinator for the Graduate Architecture Thesis. Lipka’s work has been exhibited and published internationally, and has been recognized with the 2014 AIA New York State Award of Excellence (one of a dozen American Institute of Architects Design Awards), the 2014 International ALA/IIDA Library Design Award, the 2013 National AIA/ALA Library Building Award, and the 2013 Architectural Review Future Projects Award among others.
Juhani Pallasmaa is an architect and professor emeritus based in Helsinki. Pallasmaa first practiced design in collaboration with other architects before practicing through his own Helsinki office from 1983-2012, and has taught and lectured in numerous universities in Europe, North and South America, Africa, Asia and Australia. The author of 50 published books and 400 essays, articles and prefaces, Pallasmaa’s writings have been translated into 30 languages. Pallasmaa is an honorary member of SAFA, AIA and RIBA, Academician of the International Academy of Architecture, and has received numerous Finnish and international awards and five Honorary Doctorates.
Gundula Proksch is an Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of Washington. Her current research focuses on sustainable urban infrastructures, especially those that apply vegetation to manage flows of water, energy and waste. Her book Creating Urban Agricultural Systems investigates the design integration of urban agriculture. She studied at the ETH Zurich and Cornell University. Subsequently, she has over 15 years of experience practicing architecture in New York, London, Vienna, Zurich and currently in Seattle. She has worked with the architecture firms of David Chipperfield, Richard Meier, Field Operations and SOM. Prior to joining the University of Washington, Proksch taught at Parsons The New School for Design in New York.
A Note for 2015 Submitters!
- 11/14 Built Projects Site Visit Contacts: Site Visit Contacts must be reachable on between 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. at the phone number provided in your submittals. Advise contacts to pick up “unknown” calls that day. The contact must be authorized to organize a hosted site visit either on the afternoon of Saturday (November 14) or on Sunday (November 15). Site visits are anonymous. The Design Team shall not be present.
- 11/16 Tickets: As a submitter, you can pick-up one free ticket per entry and will be available the day-of the event at Benaroya Hall’s Box Office (Will Call) under your name.
Special thanks to our 2015 Honor Awards Sponsors: