SPARC: Existential Crisis or Opportunity - The Impact of 3D-Printed Houses on Residential Architecture
Given the recent media hype around 3D printed houses, the architectural community can’t help but wonder what it is all about. We have invited two distinguished speakers whose related works have been noticed internationally to discuss a few aspects of the technology:
- Overview of 3D printed house technology
- Current maturation of the technology
- How will 3D printed houses interact with permitting?
- What is the cost of 3D printed houses compared to conventional houses?
- How will it affect this technology affect residential architects?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of 3D printed residential structures, versus traditional residential construction?
Zachary Mannheimer, Founder & CEO, Alquist 3D
Lewis McNeel, Associate Partner, Lake Flato Architects
- Attendees will gain a basic understanding of 3D printing, and its specific applications to house design.
- Attendees will learn the basics of permitting challenges faced by 3D-printed houses.
- Attendees will go over a cost-comparison between 3D-printed and “conventional” home design, based on various factors
- Attendees will learn and ideate pros and cons of emergent 3D-printing technology as compared to traditional residential construction processes.
This live, virtual program is presented by AIA Seattle’s Small Practice & Residential Committee with full closed captioning. Please indicate on your registration if you would like to be contacted regarding specific accommodations to fully participate in this program. Contact Connor Descheemaker, Member Engagement Manager, with any questions or concerns.