AIA Seattle Climate Advocacy Week
Join fellow architects in outreach to Seattle City Councilmembers as part of AIA Seattle's first ever Climate Advocacy Week.
Climate Advocacy Week is your opportunity to showcase the built environment’s role in combating climate change by advocating for strong sustainability policies at the local government level. Seattle’s Commercial Energy Code has been updated and must be approved by the City Council. Key changes to the code this year will:
- Eliminate most fossil fuel uses
- Prioritize high-efficiency building envelopes
- Make the best use of Seattle’s clean electricity
- Ramp up renewable solar energy
The Seattle City Council will be voting on these changes in December. We need your participation to help them understand the importance of these code changes to our region’s climate future!
You and your fellow architect neighbors will receive everything you need to meet virtually with your representatives and help them to understand the importance of the energy code and the built environment in addressing climate change: background materials; the opportunity to attend AIA’s climate advocacy learning webinar; a virtual appointment with your representatives; and a lead architect to guide you through your meetings. Then, we’ll wrap it up on Thursday with a Climate Happy Hour.
Here’s the schedule:
Monday, Nov. 30 9-10 am
Climate Advocacy Webinar
- Seattle climate efforts: presentation by City of Seattle’s Office of Environmental Sustainability lead on sustainable buildings
- King County climate efforts: presentation by Rachel Brombaugh, Climate Policy Advisor to King County Executive Dow Constantine
- A briefing on the Seattle Energy Code and other issues on which we will be advocating
Tuesday-Friday, Dec. 1-3
Virtual meetings with Seattle City Councilmembers – exact times tbd, 30 minutes max.
- We’ll connect you with other architects in your home city and county district, and you’ll have a chance to speak directly with your representatives. Meeting leads will help facilitate each meeting.
Thursday, Dec. 3 4-5 pm
Virtual Climate Happy Hour
- Featuring AIA’s lead architects on climate for a Q&A/brainstorm/social event on climate policy and opportunities for action
RSVP for all of these events here: