Senior Architect – Project Designer (SEA)
Company Website Solomon Cordwell Buenz
About SCB Seattle
SCB is an award winning multi-disciplinary design firm with a national presence opening a new SCB is an award winning multi-disciplinary design firm with a national presence opening a new Seattle office as an architectural start-up, backed by a well-established ninety-year practice. We are looking to bring on board a Senior Architect – Project Manager to help build an office that is equal parts SCB and Seattle.
We are looking for a creative, passionate, and driven design professional who wants to get in on the ground floor to help us build a vibrant practice and culture working on mixed-use multi-family, commercial office, and higher education projects.
You’d be joining us in our new office, located in the center of historic Pioneer Square district, with easy access to Occidental Square and the waterfront.
SCB Seattle, working in tandem with our San Francisco office, is already at work on several exciting projects in the Western US and Canada. We are seeking individuals to represent SCB’s mission and business interests in all phases of our work, and to help mentor and grow our younger staff. If you have the desire and the skills, we have the place for you to put them to work and grow your career
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsibility for the formulation of the project design philosophy in conjunction with the Principal-in-Charge and adheres strictly to this philosophy in the execution of the work and in assignments to junior staff.
- Leads client design presentations working closely with multidisciplinary teams.
- Effectively prioritizes and fluidly transitions between of a wide range of concurrent projects at various stages of design.
- Reviews and conforms the design response to applicable zoning and / or development parameters.
- Reviews the drawing production for conformance to the design concept. Selects exterior and interior finishes, fixtures, colors and materials. During construction, responds to questions about design intent and reviews / approves material sample submittals and finishes.
- Participates in presentations and / or hearings to present the project. Directs the preparation of any filing documents or exhibits required by the local jurisdiction.
Gives and solicits feedback from other designers in order to continually raise our bar for quality.
- Participates in strategic discussion with senior management on issues that affect the Firm’s performance, perception in the marketplace, client satisfaction and profitability.
- Researches and promotes opportunities for new or innovative system applications. Actively looks for and implements techniques to improve quality of work and efficiency.
- Promotes a positive team environment with cooperative and interactive working methods and sets a high example of professionalism and leadership for junior staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned and determined by SCB.
Essential Skills and Attributes
- 5 or 6-year accredited professional degree in architecture.
- 10+ years’ experience on large scale Multi-Family Residential buildings and Class A office buildings. Higher Educational and Hotels Facilities a plus.
- License preferred.
- Have a passion for design, a pulse on emerging trends, and a developed point of view about your work.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the capability to influence design outcomes.
- Acute attention to detail and aesthetic sensibility.
- Enthusiasm for utilizing a diverse set of approaches to creative problem solving.
Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic, hands-on, creative environment.
- Displays technical knowledge of local zoning ordinances, building codes, material assemblies, building systems, and engineering concepts.
- Ability to take charge and respectfully direct younger staff at all project stages
- Proficient in 3D digital modeling and graphics software such as Revit, SketchUp, Rhino, Grasshopper, 3ds Max, Enscape, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Values superior client service.
SCB is an Equal Opportunity Employer!
SCB values the strength diversity brings to the workplace. We consider all applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, citizenship status, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
SCB collects personal information (“PI”) provided to it by individuals, including, but not limited to, your name, addresses, email address, and phone number. SCB collects PI of businesses and individuals that are not employees primarily for the purposes of maintaining contact with those individuals or businesses. The PI, if disclosed outside of SCB, is only typical contact information and may be shared with individuals or other businesses in the ordinary course of SCB’s services (e.g. a client requests the contact information of a consultant). SCB does not sell nor offer to sell PI. You are allowed access to your PI and SCB will provide you a copy of the information upon request. You can also request that your PI can be deleted but SCB may need to retain some information when necessary, for example to meet a separate legal obligation.