Director of Sustainability
Company Website Sellen Construction
The Director of Sustainability provides technical expertise and leadership in Sellen’s pursuit and preconstruction of construction projects. Additionally, the Director of Sustainability serves Sellen teams and clients as an in-house expert for sustainability design in construction practices.
- Lead sustainability goal setting meetings and eco-charrettes.
- Provide total cost of ownership (TCO) analysis for sustainability strategies or other building systems/assemblies to inform sound fiscal decisions during preconstruction.
- Deliver Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) for sustainability strategies or other building systems and assemblies to inform sound sustainability decisions during preconstruction. Evaluate bids and proposed alternative materials for impact on embodied carbon.
- Deliver sustainability competitive analysis of marketplace peers to clients and suggest potential certification options or good/better/best performance metrics and provide likely options of systems, strategies and solutions seen in comparable building types.
- Advise owners and tenants on language and requirements for Green Leases.
- Research and suggest alternative building systems and product solutions that meets the project’s budget, schedule, and constructability needs while approximating the design intent to the highest extent possible.
- Provide detailed and LEED technical comments for drawings and specifications during document reviews.
- For bid packages and subcontracts issued during preconstruction, provide contract exhibits to subcontractor packages to clarify project requirements and Sellen’s expectations related to sustainable rating system requirements.
- Coordinate the energy, thermal, functional and sustainability requirements with applicable design-build subcontractors, including but not limited to curtain wall, exterior enclosure, renewable energy design-builders.
- Build and maintain an active profile in Sellen’s AEC market.
- Represent Sellen Construction in the design community through active participation on professional/industry boards maintaining Sellen’s visibility and strategic partnerships.
- Grow and manage new and established architect relationships through business development with the design community.
- Contribute to marketing efforts and promote Sellen’s expertise and leadership through authorship of articles on sustainability, design-build, architect and contractor collaboration and other relevant issues in local, regional and national industry press.
- Offer relevant proposal content during project pursuit phase including but not limited to contributions to strategy meetings and charrettes and participating in project interviews.
- Engage in select third-party consulting when the scope has the potential for business development, increases Sellen’s knowledge of sustainable construction best management practices (BMPs), or helps position Sellen as a thought leader particularly with sustainability issues.
- Serve as the project’s primary point of contact for preconstruction sustainability questions; perform work as needed, for Sellen clients.
- Collaborate with suppliers in optimizing the sustainable performance of materials, products and assemblies used, or potentially used, in Sellen projects. This may include, but is not limited to, reducing embodied and/or operational energy and emissions, reducing chemicals of concern, and reducing waste.
Project team member support and education:
- Through experience, research, and participation in the industry, build and maintain a strong working knowledge of emerging technologies and practices germane to sustainability and design integration.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the development and delivery of education on techniques and their application in design-build projects to support the owner’s goals and benefit the project as a whole.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Engineering, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years of directly applicable work experience on sustainable building practices.
- Working experience on LEED Version 4 project(s) as the LEED administrator or key team member including specific familiarity with LEED Online and required project documentation
- Expertise in and expert working knowledge of sustainability laws, standards or regulatory initiatives, sustainable systems and green technologies, incentives and rebates and policy changes.
- Familiarity with EC3, Athena Impact Estimator and / or EC3 software is desired.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows and the full suite of applications in Microsoft Office.
- Proficiency in Adobe Acrobat/Bluebeam and portfolio manager.
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Project is desired, but not required.
- Skilled in bridging traditional design and constructability issues.
- Creative problem-solving skills and ability to come to resolutions.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to make sound prioritization decisions and the ability to multi-task.
- Skilled in conveying sustainability requirements and related solutions with all team members, clients, and peers.
- Communication skills:
- Excellent verbal communication and effective presentation skills.
- Outstanding written communication.
- Communicate comfortably and effectively with new and diverse groups of people.
- Identify and promote pragmatic approach and clear principles.
- Understanding and ability to effectively communicate and implement training techniques and best practices for adult and workplace learning.
LEED AP designation. (required) LEED AP with BD+C specialty is desired.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Constantly operate office equipment.
- Communicate and express ideas and exchange accurate information.
- Regularly move about the office environment and meet with other people.
- Move about the construction jobsite environment and meet with other people.