COMMERCIAL GREEN BUILDING RATING SYSTEM PROJECT ASSISTANT
Company Website O'Brien360.com
O’Brien360 is looking for another exceptional colleague to join our commercial consulting team. We are seeking a project assistant who can bring a strong background of unique skills and burgeoning knowledge to build on, along with enthusiasm for promoting and supporting the advancement of sustainable building practices and technologies.
We are a fun bunch with a fantastic sense of humor, obsessed with nailing the details of the green building rating systems in a way that is friendly and accessible by our clients. We focus on sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, infrastructure, communities, and institutions of every type outside of the residential sector, and even some of those too. Our clients span the spectrum of the market. We work with large organizations such as Sound Transit and the Port of Seattle, where we help develop internal programs to support green building and assist directly with infrastructure projects. We also work with commercial real estate portfolios pursuing multiple certifications, community colleges and small governments trying to meet state mandates, and small non-profits that have never built a building before but have funding requiring sustainability certifications. As a LEED Proven Provider, we do a lot of LEED work, but our goal is always to recommend the best tool for our clients’ particular needs. Therefore, we are engaged in the entire rainbow of rating systems from Arc to Zero Carbon, with our current emphasis on growing work in WELL, Fitwel, ILFI Core, and LEED post-occupancy standards using ARC (LEED O+M, LEED Zero).
You are an impassioned individual interested in exploring consulting in the sustainable building field. You have a LEED Green Associate credential or have studied or experienced sustainable building such that you know the basics of how green building rating systems work. Your diverse background has exposed you to the planning, design, and/or construction of the built environment and you want to know more. You like working on a diversity of projects and completing a wide variety of tasks. You are not intimidated by technical documents and love to dig in and develop a good working understanding of complex information. You have developed the ability to communicate sometimes dry, technical details to diverse audiences, in their vernacular, while motivating and engaging them.
Rigor and accuracy are important to you, and you understand how to navigate the space between what the client wants and needs to be successful (or to get LEED documentation approved) and absolute perfection. Does this sound like paradise?
If you are giddy with anticipation, tell us what strengths you will bring to the team, where you want to grow, and why you want to work with O’Brien360.
Oh, and if you make it to a virtual interview, make sure you have a good (or so bad it’s good) joke to end the call!
• Work collaboratively with the project manager to coordinate commercial new construction projects including:
o Technical assistance to project teams
o Preparation of written deliverables
o Meeting support though organization, scheduling, and note-taking
o Facilitate information gathering and task management
• Work on green building rating system projects including LEED BD+C, ID+C, LEED v4.1 O+M and LEED Zero; Envision; and WELL and Fitwel.
• Participate as an active member of the internal teams you support to help manage workflow, improve processes, create and maintain tools and Standard Operating Procedures, and market our services.
• 1-2 years of experience working in environments where you juggled multiple tasks of a technical nature and communicated effectively to diverse groups of people.
• LEED Green Associate accreditation or similar credential or training
• Knowledge of and experience in planning, design, and/or construction, green building or building science.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially in clearly communicating technical information.
• Ability to interact on a professional level with design and construction professionals.
• A strong work ethic and efficient work style, including the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office, including advanced skills with Teams, Excel, Word and PowerPoint; PDF editing, such as in Bluebeam; fluency using file sharing and project management cloud-based programs like Smartsheet; and the ability to work efficiently and effectively with computer programs to compile well-organized documents.
Experience and credentials that are also valuable:
• Other sustainable building credentials, including Living Building Ambassador, Green Globes Professional, WELL AP, Fitwel Ambassador, ENVISION SP, LEED AP with specialty.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in planning, construction, design, engineering, real estate or building science technology.
• Credentials such Design-Build Professional, CEM, CSBA, or SFP a bonus.
• Basic understanding of 3-part specifications and how to navigate design drawings.
• Experience preparing LEED documentation.
• Additional technical experience in daylight or energy modeling, whole building life-cycle assessment, or other green building design analysis tools.
• Conversant with energy auditing and benchmarking, commissioning, or facilities management of existing commercial buildings.
• Broad experience in sustainability from policy and planning through to operations and maintenance of the built environment.
• Participation in the development and/or delivery of trainings; in-person and virtually.
• Experience with communications, marketing, and public outreach on sustainability topics and use of Adobe Creative Suite.
Important skills for working remotely:
Much of O’Brien360’s work is currently done remotely and we expect to continue to offer staff flexibility to balance working remotely with time in the office. Therefore, to be successful in this position, a person must:
• Be able to engage effectively with clients and other staff through online tools, including chat, email, telephone, and video conferencing.
• Be conscientious of your screen presence when on video conferencing, maintaining a professional appearance and background.
• Be able to work independently and be accountable to other team members and the company.
• Be comfortable with setting up your computer and home workstation, and troubleshooting computer issues, with the assistance of our remote IT personnel.
• Be transparent and proactive with your team or supervisor about issues with your work-from-home environment so that they can be quickly addressed.
• Salary range $55,000 – $65,000 annual starting
• Full time
• Work schedule is flexible but generally 9-5 availability is expected.
Commercial Green Building Rating System Project Assistant Job Announcement
Prepared by O’Brien360 4
o Due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working remotely. Within public health constraints, sometimes working collaboratively in our office located in the LEED Gold historic Dexter Horton building will ultimately be required.
• Company-paid health and dental insurance, plus employee-paid Aflac insurance available.
• Paid time off starting at 3 weeks, 11 paid holidays, and 8 hours of paid volunteer time per year.
• Company paid ORCA pass, plus Zipcar account for company travel.
• Generous company contributions to 401K after 1 year.
• Minimum of $500 per employee per year towards professional development.
• Minimum of $250 per employee per year towards matching donations.
Commercial Green Building Rating System Project Assistant Job Announcement
O’Brien360 is a 30-year-old sustainability consultancy based in Seattle and dedicated to integrating sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach toward catalyzing positive outcomes in the built environment. From project conception to occupancy, O’Brien360 delivers value and performance to clients across the entire project arc.
Equitable advancement of the built environment toward positive life cycle impacts.
Integrate sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach to catalyze positive outcomes.
For more information about O’Brien360 and our green building consulting work, please visit www.obrien360.com.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
O’Brien360 is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Just™ organization. We value our employees and strive to create an environment focused on diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect, free from discriminatory employment practices or personnel actions. We evaluate all applicants based on their qualifications, and will never discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual preference, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.
To apply, please send a single file, in PDF or Microsoft Word format to email@example.com. Please use your full name (last name first) as the file name and use “Commercial Green Building Rating System Project Assistant Job Application” as your email subject.
This file should be no more than 3 pages and include:
• a cover letter that describes how you heard about the job, why you are interested in it, and why you are strong candidate.
• a one-page resume that highlights your relevant experience.
• three references (email address and telephone number).
The position will be open until filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!