Company Website Johnston Architects
Johnston Architects provides a flexible work environment, providing whatever our team members need to efficiently work remotely, in the studio, or a hybrid of the two.
When we’re working in the studio, the JA studio is laid-back and our coworkers include canines as well as humans! We are women-owned and a JUST organization, and you can read more about what that means here. Independent and progressive, JA’s staff is more than 50% female, diverse, and inclusive.
At Johnston Architects, we are dedicated to supporting employee wellness and creating a people-first culture that provides growth opportunities for individuals as humans, not just as professionals. JA was named one of Washington’s 100 Best Small Businesses to Work For in 2021. JA also takes part in the JUST program through the International Living Future Institute, which helps ensure we incorporate environmentally- and socially-responsible business practices.
JA is seeking a Construction Administrator with 10+ years of experience to join our design studio and help us design exceptional spaces in the built environment.
We are looking for a team member with the following qualities:
- Passion for innovative design solutions
- Strong listening skills and an understanding of the importance of client care
- Dedication to team collaboration and an inclusive, iterative design process
- Attention to detail and commitment to best practices
- Commitment to lifelong learning and a desire to mentor emerging designers
- The Construction Administrator will have the opportunity to contribute to numerous projects of varying scales and construction types. A depth of experience coordinating with sub-consultants and interfacing with clients, the ability to oversee the development of quality construction documents, and a thorough understanding of the Construction Administration phase are integral to success in this role.
Responsibilities and Duties Include:
- Perform architectural activities related to the construction administration phase of projects, including quality control and quality assurance (QA/QC) of the construction documents
- Identify potential project construction challenges, then develop and improve comprehensive solutions in collaboration with the design team and project contractors
- Manage permit-related drawings and narratives for ASIs
- Process RFIs, submittals, payment applications, change orders, and substitution requests
- Perform on-site observations and prepare field reports
- Attend OAC, BIM coordination, and other required meetings
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects under construction simultaneously
Are you ready to join us? Our ideal new JA teammate will have:
- Bachelors or Masters’ Degree in Architecture from an accredited University Architecture Program
- 10 years of experience in mid-rise multi-family and mixed-use projects
- Excellent skills in Revit, Bluebeam, and Adobe
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Experience in all project phases, with a strong emphasis on the Construction
- Administration phase of mixed-use and multi-family projects
- Experience supporting technical/envelope detailing in mixed-use and multi-family projects
- Licensed Architect preferred, but not required
- This is a full-time employment opportunity.
Salary Band: $89,000 – $127,000
When joining JA, you will experience:
- A truly hybrid work environment designed to meet your personal needs – from “working from anywhere”, to working in our light-filled, dog-friendly studio in Seattle’s Wallingford neighborhood – and everything in between!
- An inclusive and welcoming company culture that encourages a healthy work/life balance and building personal connections
- Supportive internal mentorship program
- Principal and Partner collaboration on projects of every type and scale
- Participation in our integrated Design Excellence and QA/QC programs
- Support from a full-time Design Technology Manager dedicated to improving your efficiency and workflows
- Opportunity to volunteer for internal committees to support Sustainability, Technology, Firm Culture, Social Responsibility, and Knowledge Sharing
Ability to integrate fabrication and physical models into your work using the technology in our Digital Fabrication Lab
- An annual Continuing Education stipend and additional opportunities for training and professional development
- Weekly internal JA trainings applicable across disciplines
- A mix of virtual and in-person social events to support team building
- Competitive salary with quarterly bonuses
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- A 401(k) program including employer contributions
- Generous PTO and paid holidays