Commercial Rating Systems Project Manager
Company Website O'Brien360
O’Brien360 is looking for another rockstar to join our commercial consulting team. We are seeking an experienced project manager to join our team who can bring a strong background of applicable skills and knowledge to manage LEED and other rating system projects.
We are a fun bunch with a somewhat silly sense of humor, obsessed with nailing the details of the green building rating systems in a way that is friendly and accessible by our clients. We focus on sustainable buildings, neighborhoods, infrastructure, communities, and institutions of every type outside of the residential sector, and even some of those too. Our clients span the spectrum of the market. We work with large organizations such as Sound Transit and the Port of Seattle, where we help develop internal programs to support green building and assist directly with infrastructure projects. We also work with commercial real estate portfolios pursuing multiple certifications, community colleges and small governments trying to meet state mandates, and small non-profits that have never built a building before but have funding requiring green building. As a LEED Proven Provider, we do a lot of LEED work, but our goal is always to recommend the best tool for our clients’ particular needs. Therefore, we are engaged in an entire rainbow of other rating systems from Living Buildings to Parksmart, with our current emphasis on growing work in WELL, Fitwel, and LEED post-occupancy standards using ARC (LEED O+M, LEED Zero).
You know how a commercial or institutional project happens from planning to occupancy either by working as owner/developer, architect, engineer, or contractor or participating in these phases on multiple projects as a sustainability consultant. You also know how LEED works and have applied it successfully on projects. You know LEED Online is a challenge, but you’ve got it wrangled and can make it work. Your ability to communicate boring, pain-in-the-patootie details to owners, designers, engineers, contractors, and building users in their language and engage them in the process is remarkable. You can also do the reverse by reading proformas, development plans, design drawings, construction specifications, and O+M manuals and relating them to whatever rating system you are working on. Rigor is important to you, but you understand the difference between providing what the client wants and needs to be successful (or to get LEED documentation approved) versus making things ‘perfect’. You are a fan of rating systems as tools to drive green building performance, and you are good at keeping that goal in mind as you cheerlead our clients through rating system processes. If you know what all this means and it makes you giddy, then consider this position!
Are you interested? Tell us what strengths you will bring to the team, where you want to grow, and why you want to work with O’Brien360. Oh, and if you make it to a virtual interview, make sure you have a good (bad) joke to end the call!
O’Brien360 is a 30-year-old sustainability consultancy based in Seattle and dedicated to integrating sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach toward catalyzing positive outcomes in the built environment. From project conception to occupancy, O’Brien360 delivers value and performance to clients across the entire project arc.
Equitable advancement of the built environment toward positive life cycle impacts.
Integrate sustainable building expertise, thoughtful analysis, and a collaborative approach to catalyze positive outcomes.
For more information about O’Brien360 and our green building consulting work, please visit www.obrien360.com.
• Uphold and advance O’Brien360’s Vision and Mission.
• Provide sustainable rating systems project management on commercial, industrial, institutional and infrastructure projects, including:
o Project, task, and budget management
o Maintain positive client and partner relationships
o Manage the certification process and guide clients and project teams to plan for, implement, and prepare documentation for selected rating system
o Facilitate workshops, meetings, and calls
o Provide technical assistance on all sustainable building topics related to certification and certification processes
o Complete tasks assigned to O’Brien360 as part of managing the certification process
o Review drawings, specifications, and documentation, and then facilitate changes and updates in response to comments
o Conduct construction site visits
o Facilitate final rating system applications and provide post-certification support
Provide support to projects managed by others on the Commercial New Construction team.
• Participate as an active member of the Commercial New Construction team to help manage project workflows, improve processes, and market services.
• Three to five years of experience managing multiple commercial development projects in the roll of owner/developer, architect, engineer, contractor, or sustainability consultant.
• LEED AP with specialty in BD+C or ID+C
• Strong working knowledge of LEEDv4 BD+C and ID+C and the v4.1 beta and addenda, with expertise in other ratings systems including LEED O+M, LBC, WELL, Fitwel or Envision.
• Direct experience reviewing and preparing LEED documentation and engaging with GBCI during the review cycle.
• Ability to read and interpret architectural and engineering drawings and understanding of the role of specifications, how they are structured, and typical practice in writing or editing them.
• Knowledge of and experience in green building and building science, based in design, planning, engineering, or construction training.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially with technical information.
• Ability to interact on a professional level with design and construction professionals.
• A strong work ethic and efficient work style, including the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Office, including advanced skills with Excel, Word, and PDF editing, such as in Bluebeam; fluency using file sharing and project management cloud-based programs like Smartsheet: and the ability to work efficiently and effectively with computer programs to compile well organized documents.
Experience and credentials that are also valuable:
• Other sustainable building credentials, including Living Building Ambassador, Green Globes Professional, WELL AP, Fitwel Ambassador, ENVISION SP, LEED AP O+M, LEED AP ID+C.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or experience in planning, construction, design, engineering, real estate or building science technology. Credentials such Design-Build Professional, CEM, CSBA, or SFP a bonus.
• Additional technical experience in daylight or energy modeling, whole building life-cycle assessment, or other green building design analysis tools.
• Experience with energy auditing and benchmarking, commissioning, or facilities management on existing commercial buildings.
• Broad experience in sustainability from policy and planning through to operations and maintenance of the built environment.
• Experience developing and delivering trainings; in-person and in creating webinars.
• Experience with communications, marketing, and public outreach on sustainability topics and use of Adobe Creative Suite.
Important skills for working remotely:
Due to the current circumstances of working from home full-time during COVID-19 restrictions and precautions, these skills are especially important for success in this position:
• Be able to engage effectively with clients and other staff through online tools, including chat, email, telephone, and video conferencing.
• Be conscientious of your screen presence when on video conferencing, maintaining a professional appearance and background.
• Be able to work independently and be accountable to other team members and the company.
• Be comfortable with setting up your computer and home workstation, and troubleshooting computer issues, with the assistance of our remote IT personnel.
• Be transparent and proactive with your team or supervisor about issues with your work-from-home environment so that they can be quickly addressed.
Benefits and Job Details
• Salary range $75,000 – $95,000 annual starting
• Full time
• Work schedule is flexible but generally 9-5 availability is expected.
o In normal circumstances, we work in a LEED Gold historic building, but due to COVID-19, our staff is currently working remotely at least through 2021. This will continue to be evaluated based on public health guidelines and staff needs.
• Company-paid health and dental insurance, plus employee paid Aflac insurance available.
• Paid time off starting at 3 weeks, 11 paid holidays and 8 hours of paid volunteer time per year.
• Company paid ORCA pass, plus Zipcar account for company travel.
• Generous company contributions to 401K after 1 year.
• Minimum of $500 per employee per year towards professional development.
• Minimum of $250 per employee per year towards matching donations.
To apply, please send a single file, in PDF or Microsoft Word format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use your full name (last name first) as the file name and use “Commercial Rating Systems Project Manager Job Application” as your email subject.
This file should be no more than 3 pages and include:
• a cover letter that describes how you heard about the job, why you are interested in it, and why you are strong candidate.
• a one-page resume that highlights your relevant experience.
• three references (email address and telephone number).
The position will be open until filled.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Equal Opportunity Statement:
O’Brien360 strives to create an inclusive, co-operative workplace. No employee of the company will discriminate against an applicant for employment or a fellow employee because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual preference, veteran status or any physical or mental handicap. This policy applies to all employment practices and personnel actions.