Company Website BLRB Architects
BLRB Architects is looking for a collaborative, communicative, detail-oriented leader to join its team as the Business Manager and facilitate the firm’s business practices. We are a premier Architecture firm with offices in Tacoma and Spokane, Washington, as well as Portland and Bend, Oregon, endeavoring for a diverse and inclusive organization. Our creative, innovative, and client-focused staff enjoys supporting our communities and enriching people’s lives through our design solutions. The Business Manager will uphold the firm’s values – diversity, inclusion, integrity, learning, respect, and responsiveness – while ensuring that the organization’s business operations run efficiently, profitably, and in compliance with a variety of state and professional regulations.
This position manages the firm’s day-to-day operations. Our ideal Business Manager communicates openly and honestly, enjoys solving complex problems and finding effective solutions; can communicate effectively with people in remote locations; enjoys working both independently and collaboratively; is a critical thinker; and is willing to continue learning and developing new and existing relevant skills and knowledge. This position oversees other administrative positions in the firm, providing guidance as needed. These administrative positions – including but not limited to accounting support and executive assistants – report directly to the Business Manager. The Business Manager reports to the firm’s Managing Principal and supports the entire leadership team.
This role carries out a variety of tasks, including: leading the firm’s processes and procedures to support financial health and reporting on it regularly; coordinating with outside professionals as needed to complete tasks with legal, insurance, and/or tax implications; managing benefits, including enrollment/renewals, distributions, etc.; participating in and implementing the firm’s strategic planning; preparing for and moderating quarterly Principal meetings as well as annual shareholders, board of directors, leadership, and annual strategic planning meetings; maintaining firm governance documents; and managing and coordinating other business aspects of the firm such as human resources and IT.
Currently, this position is a mix of remote and in-office as needed/desired, and our firm is currently working on its permanent remote/flexible work guidelines. We would like any new employee to spend some extended time in the office through various levels of training, which may include travel to other office locations as current safety guidelines allow (time and travel costs paid).
Skills needed for this position:
- Understanding of the firm’s day-to-day position in terms of financial health, work product and workload, marketing approach, and other functions
- Problem solving (be a good detective!)
- Tech-savvy, willing to learn/understand industry specific software
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Comfortable working under varying levels of pressure with a wide range of personalities.
- Ability to manage time and resources while balancing the needs of management and staff
- Maintaining the highest level of confidentiality
- Use of Microsoft products (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Support of or direct experience with business/firm management for at least five years
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Familiarity with Deltek Software, specifically Vantagepoint, a plus, but not required
- Familiarity with architecture/engineering a plus, but not required
- Must live within commuting distance of Tacoma, Washington, or Portland or Bend, Oregon
BLRB offers an excellent salary/benefits package, including profit sharing, 401k, medical/life insurance, and paid vacation and sick leave and is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume, salary requirement, and a list of three professional references. For best consideration, please submit your resume before May 31, 2021.