SMR Architects is a 39-person, full-service architecture firm established in Seattle in 1977 as Stickney & Murphy Architects. Over our 44-year history, we have emerged as a leader in the fields of affordable housing, historic preservation, and sustainable design. Earlier this year, SMR acquired Tonkin Architecture and is in the process of fully integrating the Tonkin staff into our firm. We expect this acquisition to be complete by the end of 2021 and will result in expanded opportunities for our client and project partners as additional resources and expertise can be brought to each project.
Our work is frequently honored both locally and nationally for its exemplary contribution to affordable housing design. Most recently, SMR was recognized for the following awards.
- 2021 Gold Nugget Grand Award for Arlington Drive Youth Campus
- 2020 AIA/HUD Secretary’s Alan J. Rothman – Housing Accessibility Award for Plymouth on First Hill
- 2020 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for Clement Place
- 2019 Urban Land Institute’s Jack Kemp Affordable Housing Award for Plaza Roberto Maestas
- 2019 Gold Nugget Judges Special Award of Excellence for Cosecha Court II
- 2018 Gold Nugget Grand Award for Hoa Mai Gardens
- 2018 Historic Seattle Preservation Award for the Hansen Building
- 2017 AIA/HUD Secretary’s Creating Community Connection Award for Plaza Roberto Maestas
SMR’s office is located in Pioneer Square, an expression of our appreciation for the value that historic structures provide to the character of our community. For more information on our firm, please visit www.smrarchitects.com.
EXAMPLES OF RECENT PROJECTS