We design, preserve, and advocate for affordable housing. It’s our passion!
SMR Architects is a 39-person, full-service architecture firm established in Seattle in 1977 as Stickney & Murphy Architects. We pride ourselves on employing the best in our profession who are passionate about community design, historic preservation, and social and environmental sustainability. Over our 46-year history, SMR Architects has emerged as a leader in the fields of affordable housing, historic preservation, and sustainable design in Washington State.
Our team’s collaborative and creative approach to problem-solving, experience with neighborhood outreach and engagement, and sustainable philosophy help us serve both our clients and the community, always putting the interests of others first. Our staff and associates are engaged in the community and regularly volunteer for non-profit, historic, and service-based organizations.
Our work is frequently honored both locally and nationally for its exemplary contribution to affordable housing design. Most recently, SMR was recognized for the following awards.
- 2023 Gold Nugget Awards of Merit for Bertha Pitts Campbell Place and The North Star
- 2022 AIA WA Civic Design Awards – Honorable Mention for Bertha Pitts Campbell Place
- 2022 Gold Nugget Award of Merit for Kristin Benson Place
- 2022 PSRC VISION 2040 Award for Arlington Drive Youth Campus
- 2022 Historic Seattle’s Outstanding Stewardship Award for the Bremer Apartments Rehabilitation
- 2022 Finalist for Affordable Housing Finance Magazine’s Readers’ Choice Awards for Chuck Austin Place
- 2022 AGC’s Build Washington Award for Construction Excellence for Aspen Terrace and Arlington Drive Youth Campus
- 2021 ULI’s Jack Kemp Affordable Housing Chairman’s Award for Arlington Drive Youth Campus
- 2021 Gold Nugget Grand Award for Arlington Drive Youth Campus
- 2020 AIA/HUD Secretary’s Alan J. Rothman – Housing Accessibility Award for Plymouth on First Hill
SMR’s office is located in Pioneer Square, an expression of our appreciation for the value that historic structures provide to the character of our community. For more information on our firm, please visit www.smrarchitects.com.
EXAMPLES OF RECENT PROJECTS
Arlington Drive Youth Campus, Tacoma
Chuck Austin Place, Yakima
Coronado Cottages, Seattle
Kristin Benson Place, Seattle
Aspen Terrace, Seattle
Mercy Rosa Franklin Place, Tacoma
The Rise at 19th, Tacoma
Ravello Apartments, Redmond
The Cambridge Apartments
The Estelle, Seattle
Hoa Mai Gardens, Seattle
Plymouth on First Hill, Seattle
Plaza Roberto Maestas, Seattle
12th Avenue Arts, Seattle
SMR Architects117 S. Main Street, Suite 400 Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: (206) 623-1104
Fax: (206) 623-5285