2017 Materials Matter – Beyond Transparency: Legality, Advocacy + Practice
Session 5 of the Material Matter series, Beyond Transparency: Legality, Advocacy + Practice, explores the intersection of the “why” and the “how.” Why pursue healthy material selection as a primary value? How does this value system get implemented in practice, and what are the challenges and risks? Exploring local social and environmental justice issues will help clarify the ‘bigger picture’ impacts that manufacturers, firm and client values have on human and environmental health. Unpacking the legal/contractual risks involved with material transparency will facilitate the implementation of new strategies for managing risk while also encouraging transparency. Manufacturing, advocacy and legal voices come together to share their perspectives on the challenges and opportunities for healthy, sustainable and responsible material choices. The session ends with immediate actions participants can take to apply their new knowledge and skills.
Materials Matter is co-presented by Puget Sound Chapter CSI.
Individual session registration is now available!
SESSION LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- Participants will be able to describe and apply strategies, standards and procedures used by firms to promote better material choices.
- Participants will be able to explain risks firms face in applying materials transparency and implement strategies for managing risk.
- Participants will be able to summarize the challenges and opportunities of materials transparency for manufacturers and develop strategies for working collaboratively with them.
- Participants will be able to effectively communicate with clients to start conversations about healthy, sustainable materials choices.
- Participants will be able to connect how material decisions made at the practice level impact the bigger picture of human and environmental health.
Sessions 1-4: Fridays, 8:00 am – 12:45 pm at Seattle City Hall
Session 5 will be held at the Center for Architecture & Design, 1010 Western Avenue
*Session 5 includes lunch, 12:45-1:30pm
June 2, 2017 – Healthy Planet: Materials + the Environment
June 23, 2017 – Healthy People: Materials Science + Human Health
July 14, 2017 – Tools of the Trade: Assessment + Implementation
August 11, 2017 – Just Do It: Strategies for Projects
August 25, 2017 – Beyond Transparency: Legality, Advocacy + Practice
$560 – AIA Members + Government Employees + Partners
$330 – Assoc. Members
$1040 – Non-Members
$100 – Students + Scholarships
Pricing includes 20 CEHs/HSWs, light breakfast, beverages for all sessions.
Melissa Balestri ZGF Architects | Jess Blanch Capitol Hill Housing | Nicole DeNamur Pacifica Law Group & University of Washington | Jeff Frost Brightworks Sustainability | Pete Girard ToxNot | Chris Hellstern Miller Hull Partnership | Elizabeth A.D. Powers O’Brien & Company | Barbara X. Rodriguez University of Washington | Nat Scholz NOAA | Samantha Siedlecki JISAO at University of Washington | Kathrina Simonen University of Washington & Carbon Leadership Forum | Laura Soma GLY Construction | Beth Stroshane Applied Building Information
Check back as more speakers are confirmed!
All speakers subject to change.
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE SPONSORS OF THE 2017 MATERIALS MATTER SERIES:
SPECIAL THANKS TO THE MATERIALS MATTER ADVISORY GROUP
Chris Hellstern Miller Hull | Ed Clark ZGF | Carl Dominguez schact | aslani architects | Melissa Balestri ZGF | Jake Boyer PROSOCO
Contact AIA Seattle Program Manager Cassie Blair.
Registration and Credit Questions?
Contact AIA Seattle Volunteer Hospitality Missy Garvin.
Contact AIA Seattle Managing Director Kimber Leblicq.