2018 Honor Awards Digital Toolkit
AIA Seattle invites you to join us in celebrating outstanding architecture with the 2018 Honor Awards, and we hope you will spread the word to your networks. Everything you need to know is below, including:
- key information about this year’s program
- ready-made social media copy
- an image that can be used for your calendar, enews, or social media posts
Please let us know if you would like the information in any other format – we’re happy to help!
The AIA Seattle team
2018 AIA Seattle Honor Awards for Washington Architecture
As our region expands and our cities densify, we face challenges that innovative and human-centered design can address. Our community continues to prove that design has the power to affect positive change. This year, we celebrate and recognize the diversity of perspectives, scales, and typologies that fuel transformation in our region.
AIA Seattle’s annual Honor Awards program:
- provides an important opportunity for the design community to share and celebrate its achievements both among practitioners and with the community at-large.
- offers submittal guidelines and jury considerations that recognize both our profession’s changing conditions and our legacy of design leadership.
- celebrates all who contribute to the evolution of practice, whether through the creation of buildings, installations, research, or concepts.
- recognizes the immense role and responsibility architects have in reducing the negative impacts of the built environment on the natural environment.
We invite you to submit to AIA Seattle’s Honor Awards for Washington Architecture, and we call your attention to:
- A new Research & Innovation submission category, which recognizes work focused on the intersection of design, research, and technology. Do you have a project component, process, original research, or a design innovation that advances architectural practice or the design process? Submit to this category, and elevate awareness of the impressive strides in research and innovation coming out of our community.
- The Energy in Design Award is in its third year! As we strive to strengthen our collective commitment to building performance within the context of a changing climate, resource scarcity, and design excellence, AIA Seattle is pleased to once again commend BUILT category projects that make quantifiably significant strides in energy reduction while also maintaining the highest qualitative design caliber. Be sure to download this year’s updated energy performance calculator.
- The story behind your design matters to the jury. Every year, jurors praise submissions that tell the story behind the marketing images. What concept drives your design? What were the challenges along the way? What are the relationships and ideas that inform your design solution? Who does the project serve? Through your project narrative, captions, and inclusion of process work, we encourage you to tell the jury the whole design story.
Submission guidelines are available to view or download here.
If you’ve never submitted before, now is the time! If you’ve submitted a project in the past that you think should have won, submit it again! This is a new year and a new jury.
- Publicize your work—your project will be part of a program experienced by hundreds of architecturally-minded attendees from the design industry and beyond.
- Get your work out there—all submitted projects are featured on the AIA Seattle Online Gallery, a perfect place for AIA Seattle to direct design-hungry writers. National editors and writers interested in architecture and the built environment use the Honor Awards website as a resource.
- Put your creativity to work twice—if you’ve got a great project that never made it out of the design phase, don’t let it go to waste, submit it in the Conceptual category
- Refine your pitch— submitting your project is a great way to hone how you communicate about your work. Those who have submitted in the past say that the process helped them speak about their work to clients and to fellow team members in a more coherent and persuasive way.
- Get in front of distinguished colleagues—have your work reviewed by prominent architects like David Adjaye, David Lewis, and Catie Newell.
- Build respect from peers and clients—recognition from a panel of carefully chosen jurors adds to your firm’s credibility. The Awards themselves exhibit the breadth and depth of architectural talent here in Washington. This is a great way to showcase to the greater community our strength as a design community.
- Build buzz about your firm—use your firm’s recognition to leverage coverage of you and your projects in magazines and journals that are seen by peers and potential clients throughout the Northwest.
- August 30: Energy in Design Calculator info session + demonstration, 4-5pm at the Center. RSVP here.
- September 19: Early Bird Submission Deadline (15% fee increase applies after this date). Submit here.
- September 26 (5:00 pm PDT): Final Submission Deadline.
- November 5: Honor Awards Live Event at Benaroya Hall.
- Tickets will be available online & at the Benaroya Hall box office after September 19.
- Pre-sale* $38.00 general , $20 for students with valid student ID
- Day-of* $45.00 general, $20 for students with valid student ID
- Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more by calling the Group Sales department directly at 206.215.4818 or 206.215.4784. There is an 12% per ticket fee for online and phone transactions. (This transaction fee can be avoided by purchasing tickets in person from the Benaroya Hall box office.)
- Submitters will receive one (1) complimentary ticket (per entry) to the 11/5 Live Event and will receive an email from AIA Seattle with more details on how to obtain these. No tickets will be distributed and/or sold from AIA Seattle’s office.
READY-MADE PROMOTIONAL SOCIAL MEDIA COPY
(Simply copy + paste for Twitter. For Facebook, please be sure to TYPE in the bold names* – not just copy + paste – to make sure they are tagged, which increases engagement and reach.) The primary hashtag for the program is #HonorAwardsSEA, while the secondary hashtag is #CelebrateDesign.
- Celebrate innovative, human-centered design by submitting your project for the 2018 @AIASeattle Honor Awards. bit.ly/2018HA #HonorAwardsSEA
- Share your architectural achievements! Submit your project for the 2018 @AIASeattle Honor Awards by 9/26 bit.ly/2018HA #HonorAwardsSEA
- Be there when the 2018 @AIASeattle Honor Awards winners are announced live at @benaroyahall on 11/5 bit.ly/2018HA #HonorAwardsSEA
Note: use @AIASeattle on Twitter & AIA Seattle on Facebook to tag us
Please connect with us if you haven’t already: